Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Alien in the Land

At present I am one of the homeless. Yes, I am one of "those" people that walk the streets all day, sleep in doorways, in alleys, and on the sidewalks. I stink and need a shower, I have dirty clothes, hair and nails. I stand on street corners and shout out scriptures at people, walk around town talking to people that are not there. I ask everyone for money, and refuse a hot meal, I need my next fix, not food. Do any of you love me less now? That is a real loaded statement and at this time not completely the truth about me, but I wanted to paint for you the normal picture of the homeless that we think about, I know I did.

I am homeless. I left my home in Ft. Myers, FL depressed about my whole life situation, feeling at the root level of me that I had to make a drastic change. I had been planning on moving to Austin, TX, for many reasons, but had wanted to move with a decent truck or van,  my tools and much of my stuff, plus my little buddy, Harley (Australian Shepherd and frisbee hound). But life's situation and my state of mind and heart caused me to jump. Part of the reason I left was that I was again looking for work and finding nothing. Already a week in Austin and I am working. It is a temporary job, but working all the same. I was to the point of being homeless in Florida, before I left. My story is not all that different from many other of the homeless. Many are here in Austin seeking a chance to get back up on their feet and off the streets.

I am homeless now. Some dear friends allowed me to crash their place for a few days. A week ago they and their family paid for me to stay two weeks in the Youth Hostel here in Austin. As of Dec. 1 I will not have this lodging. Hostel rules only allow someone to stay a maximum of two weeks, they don't want their places to become permanent living. And I have no money to stay elsewhere. So I am presently homeless.

Now comes to the heart of my article. What do you do about the homeless? Do you do anything? Do you greet the homeless on the street with a warm smile and hello? If they ask for cash do you think two or three times then give them a quarter?

Do you know that there are three areas of charity, or loving good works that God commanded Israel to do? It was to show charity to three different groups of people, widows, orphans and the alien in the land. Today we would call the alien in the land, the homeless. Most of us have no problem with helping widows and orphans, after all even the Christian writer James says that is part of pure religion. But helping the homeless? Please, they just take, and take and take.Did not Jesus say to give to all who ask of you, give and do not hold back? This is true Christian charity at work, giving to the needy.

Let me address some of the needs of the homeless. I would appreciate all who read this considering what I list and giving me good suggestions to add to it.
Homeless Needs

1. Shelter: those who are homeless need shelter. Group shelters by the government or churches are mearly a stop gap measure. Normally to help keep the homeless from sleeping on the city streets, or get in from extreme cold weather.

I am finding many who are economic homeless, that need transitional housing while they find permanent employment and are able to save up enough to get into their own homes. I'm thinking cheap rooms based on a sliding scale, or free in loving family homes. Buying or building houses for transitional housing, and allowing the homeless to use them free even....all depends on how the Lord has blessed you and what you are able to do. I know one brother here in Austin that is building a house for homeless women as there are little shelter room for women here. 

2. Food. Good nutritious food, not left over almost moldy stuff. My suggestion is to get to know some of the homeless or poor in your area, find out what they like to eat and when you shop for yourself and family, buy some of that to give to the needy. 

Buy a couple of shopping bags for the soup kitchen, I would suggest taking to them to find out what they really need. No sense buying fresh food they can't use.

Buy some can food, fresh fruit, vegetables, and give them to the homeless. Cans should be the newer easy open pop tops, not every one carries a can opener, or you can also offer them a can opener with those cans without pop tops. Beans are a good nutritious food that can be eaten cold or hot, veges, soups (non-condensed).

3. Clothes. Good and clean clothes. A person can not walk into an interview with clothes that are stained and falling apart. Once you get to know one of the homeless, you might find they could be best served with a new or like new suit or dress to be able to walk into an interview for a job that would require business wear that they are well qualified for. Yes some of the homeless today were in the middle class, and at one time had good jobs and homes. Then the big bust of 2008 came in like a flood and washed it all away.

4. Friendship. I'm going to stop here for now, but there is a lot more to be listed. This I think is number one, but I wanted to end my article with it, because the last things we read tend to stick with us longest. The homeless need friends, real friends who will sit and listen to them. Trust me, if you will not get down on their level, sit on the ground or steps right next to them, look them in the eye, shake their hand, touch their shoulder, just like you do to all of your other friends, they will recognize that you just do not accept them. 

The homeless are so used to be rejected and looked down on that they know in a second whether or not you are a true friend or not. And they want, at their root heart level to have friends. I have watched how the homeless treat each other, for the most part they find a deep friendship with each other, and little friendship outside their circle of the homeless. 

It takes friends to love and understand, to care enough to reach out and offer a hand up to the down and out. To listen to the homeless, to help them find the way through the maze of services offered to help those in need, and at times cutting through the red tape that bogs down those trying to offer those same services. 

Of all things I encourage you to be a friend to the homeless, share a smile and warm hello, those cost you nothing. Be ready to sacrifice some of your time and resources to your new friends who are of lowing position right now. Show hospitality to those in need and you just might find you have given aid to an angel unaware. 




2 comments:

Marshall said...

the truly homeless need most of all the Bread of Life; to shelter under the Almighty's wings.
As I travel from place to place, I see the confusion on people's faces. Am I homeless and looking for a hand up, or am I homeless in that this world is not my home?
A homeless man or woman deserves better than to be bridged back to being an "employed person" who may soon be back on the streets for sake of the next valley in the economy. But most don't know how to love beyond the immediate, so we often look to possible stop-gap helps.
Kent, your writing here does look somewhat like a "wish list" for the homeless. What is the goal that Christ has set in/for you; what is His purpose in bringing you to Austin? I invite you speak with Him at length regarding and to Blog deeply about His will for you in things to come, which will always be greater than mere food & shelter.

Jessop said...

Hi Kent.
I can only get onto to the web when the signal here is strong enough which is not often but here I am.
I think our situation in Cape Town and all of South Africa is not the same as what you portray over there. There are numerous persons whom we sometimes refer to as street-people because they sleep out and scavenge for whatever they can find to turn into cash for drink. I see them as hardworking people labouring from early morning on waste-collection days to support their habit. In recognition of that I have addressed a chapter in my "The Good Country" on my blog here:
http://jessop3.wordpress.com/5-homeless-park/

There is a system of night shelters where persons can get a meal and a bed for a minimal price.

There are also in the CBD numerous children begging on the street corners, children who have run away from abusive homes. They resist attempts to rehabilitate them preferring the freedom and companionship on the streets. There are shelters to which they can resort for the cold winter nights and NGO volunteers that take warm blankets to them where they find them. The children are often addicted to 'sniffing' anything that will give them a high.

The rate of joblessness is high here but the people are not people who have lost jobs in the downturn but people with homes in rural areas who have migrated to the cities in search of work. The economy is simply not big enough to cater for all work-seekers.

I should add that the Cape Town City Council have over the last year or so made a deal with the scavengers to bring in recyclables of all sorts, which actually is what they were doing anyway! I think it has merely brought more people onto the streets.

Jessop