Monday, September 22, 2008

Food Ministry

At present I am jobless and homeless.

The depression in this area is tremendous. Most construction work has been shut down for two years. Lay offs are a weekly affair, as construction jobs are finished.

Finances to start new jobs are still hard to come by.

Many are without work, or have only one spouse working supporting the family, where previously they had both spouses working. Families that were barely surviving on two incomes, now must exist on one.

The welfare and food stamp benefits are being stretched to its limits. The charity of believers is relied upon now more than before.

We are called to help "...the least of these my brethren." by Jesus, and all true believers are stepping up to the plate and helping everyone that they can. We are learning to support one another, and share all good things with each other. In the midst of hard times, the grace of God is flowing, building relationships in the Kingdom for His Glory.

I have been with out a regular job since last December. Because of this I have just signed up for food stamps. In the process of looking at food sources in my area I found Angel Food Ministries.

Angel Food supplies monthly food boxes which are available for purchase. The main package costs $30 and has first quality food that is worth over twice that amount. They also provide additional packages for about $21, that can be combined with the main package.

This service is available to all. No qualification is necessary. Ordering and distribution is handled by local volunteers, Churches and Civic groups. Payment is made up front when ordering.

They take cash and food stamps as payment. So this can really help those on food stamps stretch their benefits.

This is a wonderful way to stretch your own food dollars, and be better able to help those in need of food.

Web site is : Angel Food Ministries

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kent,

I am sorry to hear about your situation and have added you to my prayer list.

I am in sort of the same situation as I moved back to Toronto but have not been able to find work yet. It is discouraging. I am fortunate to have friends that have been gracious and I help where I can.

I will pray for you as I hope you will for me. May God Bless you

Jim Wright

http://www.truthsintheword.com