Thursday, December 08, 2011

On the Streets of Austin, cont'd

I posted this on a thread I started on Meet Christians, which has generated some great responses. I hope this post will encourage others to get involved with those in need whether the homeless or working poor.

Personally I place little stock in the government assistance programs. They are there, they are being administered by some people that really care, and others that are just there for a job, and some that have become jaded towards the needy they are working for.

For example I went into ARCH the other day to follow up on my job application and the woman at the front desk refused to contact the HR person for me, because I told her I used their mail service one time. Totally bureaucratic and very disagreeable. But then I had to forgive her because she deals with difficult men every day and was responding to me out of her own attitude, which on another day may be more congenial.

Don't get me wrong, I am seeking help from government sources, and do appreciate what is available. I am signed into the VA Medical service and VA Housing Assistance. I am going to a VA housing counselor on Monday afternoon. It has taken almost two weeks to get to talk to someone about housing assistance, after telling my VA caseworker that I was homeless. Red tape and an overtaxed system bogs down all government programs, no matter how they are staffed. And most are understaffed for the number of people they are trying to serve.

So far all my assistance has been from my brethren in the Lord. First from a brother I had never met before and then from two brethren that I have never met face to face.

This has helped to restore my faith in God. Before I left Florida, I stated to the air that I no longer believed in God, for if God existed he would have heard my prayers of desperation and answered them, and at that time I had no answer. It was out of this depth of desperation that I left everything I owned, but for one backpack and one duffel bag, including my dog, and boarded a bus for Austin, TX.

This may well have been the Lord's way to move me, to find his will and purpose for me, but I did not see that at the time. I am starting to think that way and I find now that day by day I am able to trust in the  Lord's provision, my daily bread.

It took God's people, the Lord's  brethren reaching out and assisting one of the least of these, me, that has caused my faith and trust in God to rise up once again. Today I can say the Lord is faithful and trust worthy, and can give praise to him.

No comments: